USN Naval Operations Base Mayport
Recruit Training Command Beauford SC.
United States Coast Guard
Sea Service Unit Adoptions
The Navy League has long been recognized for its role as a supporter of U.S. Sea Service units and their families world-wide. One of our most important objectives is to improve the understanding of, and appreciation for, those who wear the uniforms of America’s Sea Services and to better the conditions under which they live. One way the Navy League accomplishes this objective is through the adoption and/or sponsorship of Sea Service units by Navy League Councils.
Sea Service units targeted for adoption by Navy League Councils include to varying extents: U.S. Navy and Coast Guard Ships, Shore Commands, and Aviation Units; Marine Corps units; NROTC units; NJROTC units; MCJROTC units; Sea Cadet units. The association between the Council and the Sea Service unit is most typically geographic (some locality) or via some namesake relationship (person, city, county, state, battlefield, body of water, etc.). But it can also be based on a personal relationship between a Council member and the unit or members of the unit.
After agreement among the unit, the adopting Council, local Sea Service leadership/Legal, and the Navy League organization (Area or Regional President), "adoption" normally consists of some form of formal ceremony initiating the adoption, then on-going mutually-beneficial interaction between the Council and the unit.
Typical support provided by the Council MAY include, depending on Council resources:
In some cases, the adopted unit is also able to provide meaningful outreach to the Navy League Council, such as:
- Unit tours or underway cruises
- Invitation to unit social events such as holiday parties, picnics, balls, or other ceremonies
- Direct access to the emblematic items sold by the unit's Recreation Committee
- Invitation to unit formal ceremonies such as Change of Command, Inactivation/Decommissioning, Awards/Advancement/Promotion Ceremonies, etc.
- Speak/present at Navy League meetings or functions
- Upon request, provide first-hand, non-voting Sea Service input and perspective at Navy League Council Board Meetings or other applicable venues
The list of adopted units can be found here.
Recognizing the good works of all the sea service units in the Savannah and Southeast Region is a major goal of the Savannah Navy League.
Click on the buttons below to see each of the services units and awards presented by the Navy League